Addressing a stadium packed with young voters, presidential contender Hassan Rouhani asked his audience to overcome their frustration over the lack of jobs and Iran’s diminishing global stature and back him in the June 14 election.
Highlights of the speech:
- Some people do not want the situation of the last eight years to change. They still want the path of the past eight years to continue.
- Some still are proud of national poverty and global humiliation.
- I will restore Iranian pride and self-esteem.
- With your help and your support, I will restore the national power.
- Let’s put an end to extremism. Let’s stop the rouge elements. We want the implementation of laws in this country.
- To you gentlemen who have caused this (grave) situation in the country: People do not want you anymore.
- to those gentlemen, you’ve insulted the governments of reconstruction (Rafsanjani) and reforms (Khatami).
- If I (form the government), I will restore respect for the university and the students; I will restore respect to women.
- Why should we have political prisoners. We should free all (political) prisoners.
- With the help of our hardworking police, I will restore true security on the streets of the cities… I will not allow agents without uniform stop anyone for questioning.
- I would make changes to parts of the Article Three of the Constitution on people’s right, will send them to Majlis, and will present to the nation through legal channels… In civil laws, men and women should be equal; the Kurds, Turks, Fars (Persians), Baluch, Turkmen and Arabs should be equal.
- The ones who have been expelled from the universities, and managers who have been expelled from the workplace, for expressing their views will be allowed to return.
- Good Luck! We Are Victorious!
“Rouhani’s rhetoric, his appearance and his campaign, he’s the closest among candidates in this race to a reformist,” said Mahjoob Zweiri, a professor of Middle East politics at Qatar University. “He could attract some of the young voters.” (Bloomberg, 9 June)
Video credit: Iranian presidential candidate Hassan Rouhani speaks to supporters during the campaign rally on June 9, 2013 in Tehran. (YouTube)