Photo: Haft-Seen (Seven S’s) are seven items started with ‘S’ in Persian, rooted in Zoroastrian traditions and each symbolizing an aspect of good life in the new day, and used in table setting of Nouruz celebration.
1. Sabzeh; wheat or barley sprouts, symbolizing rebirth.
2. Somaq; sumac, symbolizing sunrise.
3. Seer; garlic, symbolizing good health.
4. Seeb; apple, symbolizing beauty.
5. Senjed; oleaster fruit, symbolizing love.
6. Samanu; sweet pudding made of wheat, symbolizing success.
7. Serkeh; vinegar, symbolizing patience.