IAEA announced today it had seen no sign of any explosion at Fordo, Iran’s underground uranium enrichment facility. The report of explosion at Fordo originated by a rightwing website on Friday, citing information from a supposedly former Iranian intelligence officer turned CIA agent. On Sunday, the Times of London quoted unnamed Israeli sources as confirming the report of a major explosion at Fordo. Yesterday, Iran denied that an explosion had occurred at its most sensitive nuclear site. Now IAEA backs up Iran’s denial.
IAEA inspectors regularly visit Iranian nuclear sites, including Fordo, and the U.N. agency suggested in its statement today that they had been at the facility after the reports of an explosion there.
"We understand that Iran has denied that there has been an incident at Fordo. This is consistent with our observations," IAEA spokeswoman Gill Tudor told Reuters. (Reuters, 29 January)
The United States also said on Monday it did not believe the reports of an explosion at Fordo.
Fordo produces uranium enriched to 20 percent fissile purity.