UPDATE: The Kenyan court on Monday 6 May sentenced the two Iranian men to life in prison for planning to carry out bombings in Nairobi and other cities last year. (Reuters)
Two Iranian nationals, Mansour Mousavi and Ahmad Abolfathi Mohammadi, were found guilty Thursday by a Kenyan court of plotting to attack Western targets inside Kenya. They were arrested last June and reportedly led the officials to a 15-kilogram (33-pound) stash of the explosive RDX.
Magistrate Kaire Waweru Kiare said the prosecution “has proved beyond reasonable doubt all counts against the two.” Kiare will sentence them on Monday. Prosecutors had accused the two of having explosives “in circumstances that indicated they were armed with the intent to commit a felony, namely, acts intended to cause grievous harm.” (AFP, 2 May)
Kenyan security officials had claimed the two Iranians were members of IRGC’s Quds Force. “The police have information that the applicants (suspects) have a vast network in the country meant to execute explosive attacks against government installations, public gatherings and foreign establishments,” Police Sgt. Erick Opagal, an investigator with Kenya’s Anti-Terrorism Police Unit, in an affidavit.
The two Iranians arrived in Kenya on June 12, 2012, and traveled to the coastal city of Mombasa on the same day to receive the explosives, Opagal’s affidavit said. They traveled back to Nairobi after receiving the explosive from an accomplice who is still at large, it said. Opagal said the two were arrested on June 19 in Nairobi and led officers to some of the explosives hidden at a Mombasa golf course.
Photo credit: Iranian nationals Mansour Mousavi, center, and Ahmad Abolfathi Mohammadi, right, in the magistrates court in Nairobi, Kenya. (AP/Khalil Senosi)