According to the BBC:
Lieutenant General Anwar Hama Amin: ''We are in dire need of these aircraft during this difficult time''
Iraq says it has received the first batch of fighter jets it ordered from Russia to help it as it fights an offensive by Sunni rebels.
The defence ministry said five Sukhoi Su-25 attack aircraft would enter service in "three to four days".COMMENTARY: Criteria for selection of this combat aircraft type for rushed service to IqAF likely includes:
- Urgent need for close air support fixed-wing aircraft.
- Iraq's past combat experience with this aircraft type during the 1980s and 1990s.
- Russia's more neutral stance towards the composition of Iraq's next government.
- Russia's support for Iraq's current ally Syria in the war against ISIL
- Aircraft type commonality of servce with ally Iran, among which a number of former IqAF Su-25s escaped to during the Gulf War in 1991.
Within Iraq's time frame for claimed service of this type, nationality of air and ground crews is open to speculation, with IRGC-AF among the possibilities.
Whether this has any effect on Maliki's ability to remain in power as prime minister of Iraq is yet to be seen. However among reasons cited above, choice of this aircraft type for IqAF service signals a further political and diplomatic entrenchment by current Baghdad government.
Below, in Iranian service: IRGC-AF Sukhoi Su-25UBK "Frogfoot" close air support aircraft