Minister of Defense and Armed Forces Logistics Brigadier General Hossein Dehghan
According to Tasnim News, Iran Minister of Defense Brig. Gen. Dehghan stated last Sunday he elected to postpone the public unveiling of a Fateh class submarine, pointing to delays with the ship's subsystems and infer revised MODAFL policy in public unveiling significant defense products when actually delivered and operational.
The Minister's public explanation follows on the heels of recent revelations reported by IHS Jane's on the launching of a Fateh class submarine:
Iran has launched a new class of submarine that has never been seen before, satellite imagery obtained by IHS Jane's reveals.
One of the boats can clearly be seen in the water at the Bostanu shipyard on the Strait of Hormuz in Astrium imagery taken on 27 October. It measures 40.5 m long and 4 m wide at the waterline.
A second can be seen under construction at the Bandar Anzali Naval Base on the Caspian Sea on 17 September. It is partially shrouded by scaffolding, but is approximately 48 m long and 6 m wide.
Senior Iranian officials have previously said that it is building a new class of 500 tonne submarines called the Fateh, although the timeline appears to have slipped repeatedly. In April, Deputy Defence Minister for Industrial and Research Affairs Mohammad Eslami said: "The first Iranian 500 tonne submarine will be unveiled by 31 Mordad [22 August 2013]."While it's possible the Minister of Defense is being candid with revised MODAFL policy and technical issues, it's also possible a higher political decision has been taken in refraining from from publicly unveiling more sensitive military weapon developments while nuclear talks are underway, talks that provide the added inventive of potentially improved relations with the United States and western Europe. This could also explain the delayed public unveiling of Iran's claimed reverse-engineered RQ-170 UAV.