The advance comes after pro-Hadi forces captured most of Aden on Friday and began clearing operation in the northern and eastern entrances to the city where pockets of fighting were reported between resistance forces and the Houthis. On Saturday, Hadi government-in-exile announced the liberation of Aden, with some ministers arriving in the city to prepare the return of the entire government to resume its work in Aden.
A Saudi advisor told the BBC on Sunday that the “liberation of Aden” is completed and the next military objective would be retaking the city of Taiz. The Saudi advisor added that the capture of Aden was the culmination of a 10-week long plan involving air, sea and land forces, using Arab coalition-led Yemeni fighters trained in Saudi Arabia.
On Saturday, the UAE confirmed the presence of its troops in Aden. UAE Crown Prince Sheikh Mohamed and Ruler of Dubai Sheikh Rashid offered condolences to the family of Lieutenant Abdul Aziz Sarhan Saleh who was killed in action during the military operation in Yemen, Emirates 24/7 reported.
Reports in social media had previously pointed to UAE’s active participation in the military operation in Aden. The official coverage given to the death of Lt. Saleh is a confirmation of UAE’s key role in recapturing of Aden.
UPDATE: Houthi insurgents shelled positions in Aden on Sunday, killing and wounding scores of people, news agencies including UPI and BBC reported. A majority of the city is under control of Saudi/Emirati-backed fighters. Meanwhile, a pro-Hadi Yemeni military official said the shells were fired from a Huthi stronghold six miles outside the city.
UPDATE: Overnight, pro-government forces faild to capture the last remaining Houthi stronghold in Aden – the Tawahi peninsula in the south, BBC reported on Sunday.
Photo credit: Southern Resistance fighters loyal to Yemeni President Hadi seen on the streets of Aden, 18 July 2015 (Reuters/BBC)