An Iranian lawmaker who said that Iran has suspended its 20-percent uranium enrichment program, has now denied that the suspension ever took place. Mohammad Hassan Asafari, a member of the national security committee of the Iranian parliament, Majlis, was quoted by semi-official news agency ISNA on Saturday that Iran has suspended its program of enriching uranium at 20-percent purity as a confidence building measure and a gesture of good will toward the West, and in return expected that the economic sanctions against the country be lifted.
Later on Saturday, Fars News Agency quoting an unnamed senior official contradicted Asafari’s assertion and said the enrichment program to the 20-percent degree will continue. And today, the state-run Press TV reported Asafari’s denial. The 20-percent enrichment is on (again!)
“The 20-percent [uranium] enrichment has not been and will not be halted in Iran,” Asafari said. “Yet, as announced previously, Tehran is ready to temporarily supply its need for 20%-enriched uranium for its 5-megawatt Tehran Reactor from abroad if the sanctions are lifted.” (Press TV, 4 November)