Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Pentagon: US Navy Will Remain in Persian Gulf

The U.S. Department of Defense today responded to a warning issued by Iran’s army commander to keep US aircraft carriers out of the Persian Gulf by declaring that American warships will continue regularly scheduled deployments to the strategic waterway.

George Little, the Pentagon press secretary, said the Navy operates in the Gulf in accordance with international law and to maintain “a constant state of high vigilance” to ensure the flow of sea commerce.

Earlier today, the commander of Iran’s regular military warned the American aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis not to return to the Persian Gulf. The aircraft carrier left the Gulf through the Strait of Hormuz last week after visiting UAE’s port of Jabal Ali.

“The deployment of U.S. military assets in the Persian Gulf region will continue as it has for decades,” Mr. Little said. “These are regularly scheduled movements in accordance with our longstanding commitments to the security and stability of the region and in support of ongoing operations.” [AP, 3 January].

The US Navy 5th Fleet has long been headquartered in Bahrain. It was not clear why the Iranian army chief made the explicit threat ("We warn only once"), knowing that the US Navy Fleet is based in Bahrain, and its carries would regularly pass through the Strait of Hormuz. It was also not clear how Gen. Salehi would react to the Pentagon's declaration that it will indeed continue its presence in the Persian Gulf and its carriers will pass through the Strait.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course they will remain in the Persian gulf neither the mullahs or the regime stooges will prevent that from happening.
Now lets see that commander with the big foghorn try to stop them.

sam idias said...

I know there will be a rush of bunch of know nothings that will start to comment here ,without full understanding what the Iranian commander was doing here. The commander was trying to accomplish 2 things: one was his Islamic duty to warn an enemy to back of to hopefully prevent a war and bloodshed, this is an Islamic law, read it and learn. Number 2 , it was a warning in accordance with international law. Warning, so the world knows in advance who is crossing the red line.

Asphalt Lake said...

Mr. Uskowi, is there any family relationship between Iran's FOreign Affairs Minister Ali Akbar Salehi and Iran's armed forces commander in chief, Ata'ollah Salehi?

Many thanks and best wishes for a good New Year,

Tom

Anonymous said...

To the commentator who addresses other Iranian commentators as "know nothings".

You obviously know nothing because
where does it say in international law that a ship cannot enter free passageway in international waters?
And another thing when it comes to red line crossing the commander is threatening the US navy not to come inside the Persian gulf which is part of the international waters barring the few miles of coastal areas.So who is crossing the red line here? The blustering commander with his big trap or the US navy which has the right like any other navy to use the international waterway.

Nader Uskowi said...

I am truly perplexed by Gen. Salehi’s comments, both in content and in tone. The general knows full well that the US Navy’s 5th Fleet is based in Bahrain in the Persian Gulf. Its ships, including carriers, travel to and from Bahrain all the time (and for many decades) and they obviously always pass the Strait of Hormuz, which is an international waterway, open to all. What did the general have in mind? He knew that a US carrier and other US ships would pass the Strait in the near future. Was he ready to stop a US carrier in international waters?

I always thought that the Iranian government was posed to blame the US for any hostile act by any actor against Iran in the region, but the general’s comments runs against such policy: he is threatening hostile action against the US Navy on international waters. Doesn’t make sense, there is disconnect here. We will probably witness his “retirement” in the next few days. But if what he said was cleared through Khamenei’s office, which is expected, then we are in for some rough time ahead.

Anonymous said...

A lot of statement made by military top brass are meant for domestic politics, In this case he might have been trying to preempt an action such as his replacement....I agree it was an odd warning knowing well Iran is not expected to go to war because a carrier entering the Persian Gulf. Also most military experts claim USN will not start any war as long as Carriers are inside the Persian Gulf as they too vulnerable inside. I think IRIN would rather have them boxed in...

Speculare said...

Nader, if questioned, expecting that Khamenei’s office throws Salehi's under the bus... the impertinent remark... for which there is no legal foundation was likley his own- unless, as you noted, regime is ready.
95% chance of Salehi's comment being empty bluster for domestic consumption.

Jabbar Fazeli, MD said...

If I didn't know any better I would say that the regime in Iran is trying to give the US a reason to attack.
Considering how improbable that is, the only remaining explanation for these outlandish threats is that the regime has lost control over it's commanders and righ wing officials.
A major internal battle in the regime maybe looming.