Iran has pulled back from its goal of building a nuclear weapon, said Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak. He told Britain's Daily Telegraph newspaper on Tuesday that an immediate crisis was avoided when Iran chose to use more than a third of its medium-enriched uranium for civilian purposes earlier this year. That decision, Barak added, “allows contemplating delaying the moment of truth by eight to ten months.” (Reuters, 30 October)
“There could be at least three explanations. One is the public discourse about a possible Israeli or American (military) operation deterred them from trying to come closer,” Barak said.
“It could probably be a diplomatic gambit that they have launched in order to avoid this issue culminating before the American election, just to gain some time.
It could be a way of telling the IAEA 'oh we comply with our commitments’.”
The Israeli defense minister added however that he believed Iran was still resolved to build nuclear weapons.
“We all agree that the Iranians are determined to turn into a military nuclear power and we all share the declaration that we are determined to prevent Iran from turning nuclear and all options are on the table,” Barak was quoted by Telegraph as saying.