The US Department of the Treasury announced on Wednesday the designation of 37 front companies based in Germany, Malta, and Cyprus for being owned or controlled by, or acting on behalf of, the Islamic Republic of Iran Shipping Lines (IRISL) and its affiliates. The Treasury also sanctioned five Iranian individuals who were managing these companies. The designation would practically prevent the companies to process banking transactions or obtaining liability insurance needed to run their operations.
- Mohamad Talai, manager of the 11 Hamburg-based holding companies and an authorized representative of IRISL Europe.
- Mansour Eslami, co-manager of several of the Hamburg-based holding companies and also a director of IRISL, Maltta.
- Ahmad Sarkandi, the director of all IRISL front companies in Malta and director of IRISL UK, He also manages Lancelin Shipping, a Cyprus-based IRISL company.
- Ghasem Nabipour, the Managing Director and a principal shareholder of Soroush Sarzamin Asatir Ship Management Company.
- Naser Bateni, the managing director for HTTS Hanseatic Trade Trust and Shipping GmbH, and IRISL Europe GmbH.
For a complete list of the individuals and entities designated by US Treasury, visit here.