The White House declined to comment today on the report that US lawmakers last year approved 400 million dollars to ramp up covert operations in Iran to undermine Tehran's leadership.
"I couldn't comment either way," White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said.
Seymour Hersh of The New Yorker reported on Sunday that the US Congress had passed President Bush's funding request for the secret operations, including US support for minority dissident groups and intelligence gathering about Iran's nuclear facilities. The Central Intelligence Agency and the Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) were said to be involved in the operations.
US Ambassador to Baghdad Ryan Crocker today rejected the allegations.
“I can tell you flatly that US forces are not operating across the Iraqi border into Iran,” he told CNN.